Vice President Corporate Growth, US Goverment Contracting Sector at MORI Associates
Hiring Manager: Bert Sadtler
For more than 20 years, MORI has been a leader in Information Technology, Strategic Communications, Multimedia Solutions, and Engineering for Federal Agencies and commercial clients. We have made a significant contribution to our nation’s space exploration program, various aeronautical research and development programs, public health, safeguarding our homeland, health research and development, and science. The corporate headquarters of MORI Associates is located in Rockville, Maryland, with regional operations offices in Houston, Texas, and Altadena, California, and a growing nationwide employee presence of more than 500 spanned across the nation. Please click on the link to the Capabilities deck below for more about MORI.
MORI’s past performance includes prime contractor work with The Navy, the Department of Homeland Security, the Department of Treasury, the National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and other government agencies from its infancy, MORI’s client base continues to grow.
MORI’s current customers include the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) Johnson Space Center (JSC), NASA Ames Research Center, Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), NASA Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC), and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
MORI has a proud history of innovation and excellence supported by contract wins. Throughout the past 24 years, MORI has been awarded many prime and subcontracts including NASA JPL’s $200M Information Technology Infrastructure Support Service (I2S2) contract, NASA JSC’s $390M Communications, Outreach, Multimedia, and Information Technology (COMIT) contract. We have received multiple Prime Contractor of the Year awards and numerous other awards including, JPL’s Thomas H. May Legacy of Excellence, the NASA Agency-Level Small Business Industry Award (Mentor-Protégé Category), and NASA JSC’s Safety and Health Excellence SUPER NOVA Award, which we have received for – five consecutive years. Our Multimedia and Strategic Communications work has garnered multiple Lone Star Emmy Awards for excellence in communications and multimedia, and NASA’s agency-level Photographer of the Year. MORI has also won the NASA JSC Director’s Innovation Award, the NASA Ames – Ames Honor Award, NASA’s Agency Level HQ OCOMM Golden Rocket award, NASA Agency Level Distinguished Public Service Medal, and JPL’s Science Office Outstanding Technical Support for our support of the Mars Science Laboratory.
MORI is at the helm of exponential growth and has the strong infrastructure, financial ability, depth, and breadth to take the company to the next level. Take your career to the next level and apply to be part of a dedicated and passionate team of diverse professionals creating and supporting cutting-edge solutions for our client’s critical missions. Every day allows meaningful contributions for success. We offer a great opportunity for someone to carve out their own path: somebody who has strategic vision, creativity in approaching customer challenges, and wants to be an entrepreneur within an environment that has financial stability, great quals, successful processes, and committed leadership.
MORI is CMMI Level III and ISO 9001-2015 Certified.
NAICS code as a prime: 541715
Company mission statement
Promote a start-up culture while scaling to be a leader in the Federal markets by enabling a team of diverse and passionate employees to reach their limitless potential.
What is the purpose of this role
The VP of Corporate Growth reports directly to MORI’s CEO, founder at our Rockville location.
MORI is growth-focused beyond current relationships with NASA and NOAA. The VP of Corporate Growth is responsible for defining an adjacent market, building a strategy for growth, and then leading the effort.
MORI’s VP of Corporate Growth will be a seasoned, outward-facing key leader and supporter of the company’s Business Development functions focused on maximizing short-term and long-term growth opportunities.
We are positioned and committed to making the investment for long-term growth, including B&P, R&D, securing the right partners, and hiring consulting resources who open the right doors.
As a senior member of the executive leadership team, the VP’s responsibilities include:
– Create a Business Plan with a budget and realistic expectations for ROI
– Leverage MORI’s existing market and capabilities
– Leverage the VP’s relevant knowledge, relationships, and track record of success
– Define adjacent markets to target for Prime Awards
– OR Define solutions that can be applied to other agencies/customers for Prime Awards
Sales goals and resources required will be inputs of the Business Plan.
At a high level, examples of an adjacent market could include:
– Offering our multi-media solutions to numerous agencies
– Identifying a subset within DoD and leveraging past performance
– Identifying relevant opportunities within the IT Sector
– Leveraging our past performance within DOT and HHS
– US Citizenship.
– Active US Security Clearance is preferred but must be clearable.
– Approximately 30% travel.
Where will the new hire work from
Who will the new hire report to
How many people report into this position
Key characteristics required by the ideal candidate
– 10+ Years of (demonstrated) Successful full life cycle Federal Sector Business Development and Capture Experience.
– (demonstrated) Track record of successful business building including a history of increasing revenue to meet benchmarks and company goals.
– (demonstrated) Solid understanding of customer organization, opportunity profile, buying habit, and competition landscape, as well as an established customer and industry network for at least one Government agency.
– (demonstrated) Success designing and implementing business development strategies within the Federal Government Contracting Sector.
– (demonstrated) Success identifying and mapping business strengths within the Federal Government Contracting Sector.
– (demonstrated) Business Development success within the Engineering, Information Technology, Strategic Communications, and Multimedia Solutions for Federal Agencies.
– (demonstrated) Wide network of industry contacts, including government clients and other companies to create a teaming arrangement.
– (demonstrated) Success leading and managing business capture of multiple large government contracts each within the $100M – $500M range.
– (demonstrated) Excellent verbal and written communication skills and outstanding interpersonal skills with the ability to lead and work within a team environment.
Duties and responsibilities
– Identify core capabilities that can be leveraged to enter new/adjacent markets.
– Develop and execute a 3-year growth strategy plan and milestones.
– Deliver on the processes and the steps in your Business Plan, which will establish a foundation for revenue growth.
– Identify and communicate BD goals and objectives to the executive leadership team.
Specific geographic location requirements
The position location is in Rockville, Maryland, and reports to the CEO. The preference is for the VP to be based in DC Metropolitan area. Alternative options would be considered for the right candidate.
Education and qualifications
– B.S. or M.S. in an engineering, science, information technology, or business management related discipline, or equivalent.
– Training and/or certification in business development, capture management, or proposal management (such as Shipley, APMP or similar)
US Citizenship required.
Security clearance requirements
Active US Security Clearance is preferred but must be clearable.
– 10+ Years of (demonstrated) Successful full life cycle Federal Sector Business Development and Capture Experience. – (demonstrated) Track record of successful business building including a history of increasing revenue to meet benchmarks and company goals. – Training and/or certification in business development, capture management, or proposal management (such as Shipley, APMP or similar)
Top priorities for first six months
During the pre-hiring discussions, learn about the company’s capabilities and understand immediate challenges. Then, draft an outline to be reviewed with the CEO of your Plan and the short-term goals you will prioritize.
Examples of Short Term Goals could include:
– Evaluate the existing contracts and outline similar and adjacent opportunities to target. Deliver a summary of your findings and recommendations.
– Assess the company’s current core capabilities and solution/service offerings, and deliver a summary of how these can be leveraged to new markets.
– Evaluate the current pipeline and existing strategic partners, alliances, and relationships and submit a summary with your comments and recommendations.
– Identify at least one new market with a 1-2 page summary justifying what makes this market a good fit for the VP of Corporate Growth’s capabilities and a good fit for MORI.
– Outline and submit 1-2 pages on how to increase company revenue and client base.
– Submit a 1-2 summary of your proposed path to transition into engineering and science.
– Partner with the CEO, VP of BD and the Director of Proposals to develop and establish pipeline model with an ROI that is robust enough to achieve revenue growth targets for the current year and over the next 3 years.
– Evaluate, outline, and submit the steps for developing a 3-year strategic plan and submit this 1-2 page document for comments and input.
– Identify resources needed and develop and submit a budget to achieve these goals.
On target earnings
The target compensation is a combination of a base salary plus a performance bonus with a total on-target earnings range of up to $265K. Breakdown of Compensation: The annual On-Target base salary range is between $180K – $220K. The annual On-Target bonus is up to 20% of the base salary. The pay cycle is every two weeks.
The annual On-Target base salary range is between $180K – $220K.
The annual On-Target bonus is up to 20% of the base salary.
– Fostering a culture where integrity and honesty is woven into the fabric of everything we do.
– Excellence by encouraging every employee to take the actions necessary to “wow” our customers.
– Being a trusted partner with all of our customers, ensuring that we look out for the customer’s interest, always delivering high-quality services, and successfully completing all assignments.
– Strong teamwork and acting with transparency and encouraging everyone to do the right thing.
– Caring for our employees in the best possible way by providing a caring work environment and offering robust benefits, growth opportunities and access to training and mentoring.
– Respecting and valuing all individuals for their diverse backgrounds, experiences, styles, and ideas.
– Encourage and value a work/life balance
– Accounting for our actions and results, and when something goes wrong, diligently doing whatever it takes to make it right.
Jury Duty Leave
Health Insurance: MORI offers health care, dental, vision, and prescription coverage
Life and AD&D Insurance
Voluntary Accident Insurance
401(k) Savings Plan with company match
Other Fringe Benefits
Education Assistance Program
Employee Assistance Program
Please use this link for the Exec Bios:
Company news page